Hogwarts Novitas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In a realm of magic, anything is possible.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to Novitas! Please read all of the information in the "Starting Out" forum. Hogwarts is now OPEN. Diagon Alley/Hogsmeade will remain open for a week. Happy posting.  - Wizard God

Learning Lumos

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Esa Jaarvilehto
First Year
Esa Jaarvilehto

Learning Lumos Empty
PostSubject: Learning Lumos   Learning Lumos EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 2:28 pm

Esa was excited, he had been accepted to Hogwarts. He ran his fingers over the embossed seal, still in awe of the situation nearly three weeks later. It felt strange to him, finally being allowed a wand. He slid his out of his pocket. He had originally wanted a forearm holster, like his Isoukka, but his forearm was not as long as his wand, let along the extra bit he’d need for movement. He looked across the room to his father. “Issouka, kanisteri te-“

“In English, Esa,” His father patiently interrupted. His parents had been speaking to him in only English for nearly a month. At first he struggled to apply his almost-a-years study worth of English to understand them but now he usually knew what they were saying.

Issouka, may you teach magic for me?” Esa requested, hoping he had worded his request properly. His Isoukka wasn’t as picky about his grammar as his Ema but he would still correct him when he was wrong.

“Do you mean ‘Will you teach me magic?’” his father smiled at him, looking up from his paperwork. At Esa's eager nod he sighed, “How about Lumos? It is a useful charm, makes light.”

“Lumos,” Esa repeated softly, allowing the word to roll off his tongue. “Lumos…” it felt very foreign to him, but he supposed he would have to get used to the idea that spells where in Latin.

“Come.” His father ordered, opening his arms. Esa quickly obeyed him, walking across the room and allowing his father to turn him around. “Move your wand like this,” his father took his hand and made him give a sharp flick. He then repeated the motion using only his own arm, “Understand?”

“Jaa,” Esa replied, repeating the motion himself. He turned and stepped away from his father, “I say Lumis now?”

“Lumos,” his father smiled, “And yes. Go ahead and try.”

Esa stared at his wand tip for a moment before trying to imitate the motion his father showed him and shouting, “Lumos!”
Nothing happened, “What did do I wrong?” Esa glanced sharply at his father, confusion evident on his face.

“Try not yelling,” his father laughed slightly, “And focus, you have to want it. Try again.”

Esa sighed, closing his eyes. He took a deep breath before flicking his wand and saying at a much quieter volume, “Lumos,” again, nothing happened. He looked to his father in defeat.

“Watch me, Esa.” His father smiled before brandishing his own wand, having flicked it from the holster that Esa was envious of, “Lumos,” he stated calmly as he flick his wand, a bright light appeared on the tip of it. “Nox.” The light went out, “Try again, Kani,” His father called him by the name his grandfather, also named Esa, had given him as a child.

Esa ran his empty hand through his hair, he hadn’t been called Kani in a long while. He took a deep breath before relaxing his shoulders. He closed his eyes and raised his wand, holding it in a mock salute as he pictured his own lighting up like his fathers. He took another deep breath before snapping open his eyes, “Lumos,” he ordered, flicking his wrist, an expression of determination evident on his face. To his delight his wand lit up, “I-Kirjain valmis se! I-Kirjain valmis se!” he waved his wand around. To his horror it went out, “What happen?”

His father laughed at him, “You just need to practice, Kani.” He chuckled some more, “Go show your Isoissa, I have work to do.” With that he dismissed Esa.

“Thank you Isoukka!” Esa chirped, running from the room, wand still in hand.

((Issouka, kanisteri te= Dad, will you-, Jaa=yes, I-Kirjian valmis se= I did it, Kani=Bunny, Issouka=dad, Isoissa=Grandfather))
Back to top Go down

Learning Lumos
Page 1 of 1